Monday, September 19, 2011

When life gives you lemons, just throw them away or make pot holders


After posting the pot holder photos a day or so ago, I was compelled to give it a shot. I think the simple ones are better, though it's hard to predict how they will turn out. 





As you can see, I have a hard time stopping...I have about 8 more "middles" that I can cover and then I should be done.
It's one of those situations where I hate to let anything go to waste. Many times this works out, but many times it bites me in the butt. 
For example:
Tried to save left over lemonade (and crappy crystal lite at that) by freezing it. Except that I put it in giant mason jars and even though I left the lid off, they cracked. Ruining not only the lemonade but the really nice jars too. Stupid.

Then a few years ago I got the idea to wash the mattress cover to our fancy European bed. It covers the entire mattress, top bottom and sides, but it unzips. So I just washed the top. But it is wool and it shrunk and matted and was horrible. Gave it to the cats to sleep on. However, when ordering a new one, I had to get the whole thing (top, bottom and sides). So I took the old one off, and cut it into these squares 'cause, dude...they are wool and about 1/4 inch thick...really nice for pot holders. I made up a few and they are great except for the pesky washing thing. Ya can't do that...they scrunch and mat up just like the top cover did. But if you don't care (i don't), and are willing to hand wash them (i am), they are very suitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment