Friday, October 7, 2011

Epic Cookies


The other day I made peanut butter cookies. And these my friends are epic.
They are not the crumbly, fork-hatched, greasy cookies of our youth. These bad boys are chewy. And that's my cookie preference. 



In my house, when the sweets get low, my kids will eat handfuls of chips. Chocolate chips, butterscotch chips...etc. As you might imagine, I have quite a supply on hand. So in these cookies besides peanut butter and chopped peanuts are chips. I like butterscotch and white chocolate, but I was out of the WC. So I just emptied all the little quarter and half bags that remained from the kids' foraging and they are, as always, terrific. 


The key is to take them out in time and NOT OVER BAKE. I am a terminal over-baker. So I lost 1.5 sheets of these and they are crunchy-crunchy. A good thing cause I now will not touch them. Much.
Here's how they go:



Peanut Butter Cookies adapted form the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

1 & 1/4 cups Flour
3/4 tsp baking Soda
1/2 tsp baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (one stick) soft butter
1 c peanut butter
3/4 c white sugar
1/2 packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 T milk
1 tsp vanilla
assorted chips to make 2 cups*
1/2-3/4 chopped peanuts

Oven at 350
Mix butter and peanut butter till light and fluffy. Add sugars and beat till smooth. Add egg, mix well. Add milk and vanilla.
Add flour, salt, baking powder and soda and mix till smooth. Add chips and chopped nuts.
I like to use a scoop for uniform cookies, but you can use a set of spoons too. Drop into a shallow bowl of granulated sugar, roll to coat. Put on parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten a little.
Bake 10-12 minutes, do not over bake. Cookies will appear underdone but they are not. Cool on sheet for one minute then move to a rack.

* I think butterscotch is crucial and other parings might include chocolate, cinnamon or white chocolate. Peanut butter chips sound good but they get lost.

Make these and stand back. The last time I sent these off, my friend declared me a goddess on Facebook. No joking.

No comments:

Post a Comment