Sunday, November 20, 2011

It's Ok To Have Chocolate Cake for Breakfast. Really.






Have I ever posted my favorite choc. cake recipe?? We had this last weekend and before it disappears, I should share.
This is from Laurie Colwin's Home Cooking series and the cake is so easy and fast, it could be make successfully by any 11 year old. But not MY 11 year old, cause I don't like anyone in my kitchen, but that's another story.

Here we go:

Buttermilk Cocoa Cake

Preheat over to 350. Butter and flour a 9" pan (don't start using other size pans, this is important).
Mix together 1.75 c flour, .75 c unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 c sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda and .25 teaspoon salt.
(Please tell me you can remember your fractions people, the "1/4" just doesn't work for me)
To these ingredients add 1 c buttermilk, .50 c veg oil or melted butter, and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Turn batter into the pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 min. or until a tester comes out clean. Cool 5 min. and turn out of the pan.

At this point you're on your own. Because you've floured your pan, the cake looks a bit dodgy and needs a little decorating. Powdered sugar is fine as would be a quick coat of raspberry jam. You could whip up some cream and put a cloud of that on top and nestle some sugar macerated strawberries in it if you were wanting to win friends or make up for being a bit touchy the other day, but personally, I like ganache.Ganache is simply a mixture of chocolate and cream and I'm sure there's a right way and a wrong way to do it, but all I ever do is heat a little cream (not half and half!) say about a cup, and when it is hot, I add an equal amount of chocolate chips and stir till melted and glossy. You pour this over your cake and let the side drip down. Left over ganache goes in an old jelly jar to be put in your 'fridge and eaten with a spoon in emergencies (coming home from work, sitting at the computer, reading the mail...those sorts of emergencies).

The best thing about this cake is it tastes SO MUCH BETTER the next day. So if you were having a dinner gathering on a Saturday night, you could SO make this cake Friday morning or even Thursday night. It really goes together in about 7 minutes.

Then, cause I'm nothing if not a lily-gilder, I made Salted Caramel Ice Cream which  totally rocked. Again, note to self: Make this waaaay in advance. I'd made the custard Sat. night, and thought I'd freeze the ice cream Sunday morning. But it just didn't set up properly and it was softer than gelato at dessert time. Not that that stopped any of us, but even this morning when I pulled out a spoon of it to photograph, it is super soft. And this is in my full size freezer, bottom shelf. Not that I'm going to throw it away you know, but it is not like regular ice cream. I followed David Lebovitz's recipe and it is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment