Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Who ya gonna call? Scrap-Busters!

 Once upon a time there was a craft lady (me) who couldn't bear to throw any scraps away (hoarder!) and was soon drowning in a scrap pile the size of a Mini Cooper....(ahem).

Earlier this month, I began the GREAT SCRAP PILE REDUCTION CRUSADE and here are a few things I've made and links to other great ways to deal with those precious scraps we sewers/crafters never can seem to throw away. Look, I know I can make a quilt or a pillow cover or...a zillion other things...but I was looking for FAST and EASY and as little PIECING as possible...
These are ideas that I considered fresher and more inspired than quilts.

Valentine necklaces for my kindergarten class. They have a similar fabric on the back and felt in the middle (made a good dent in my felt pile too). I dipped them in starch, squeezed them out and let them dry a bit. Then I ironed them and re-trimmed the edges.


I started to make each child in class their first initial...why? Who knows. But I'm half-way through and I'm determined to finish.





The last of the letters. There are loads of these on Pinterest, and that's where I was inspired. These are felt in the middle but no starch and are from my vintage sheet scraps. Very cozy and feminine.

Scrap covered basket. Scraps, Mod Podge and thrift store basket. Tutorial coming soon.

Can't...


stop...

making...

these...

cute....

little houses!
Oh my goodness gracious, I was addicted to making these. During the whole scrap-purge and reorganization, I came across scraps from a cheap Home Depot drop cloth I'd used for a soccer banner back in the day. I tossed it. 2 days later, I saw these on Pinterest and dug that fabric outa the trash can like nobody's business. It looks just like linen! I made houses till I ran out of drop cloth. I like the houses with window boxes the best. The cat wasn't so hot and I'm sick of the bird motif. The original ones were used as Christmas ornaments and were a little smaller and stuffed with fiberfill.
From the web:

These look easy enough, strips of fabric, styrofoam balls, twine.

same kinda thing...nice gift...
Coasters! Link here...


Oh yeeessss!...link here, NOW A WORD about this link. I used the measurements they gave and have concluded this
person was h-i-g-h if they think there's any way on God's Green Earth those measurements will work. I will post a tutorial soon.

This is interesting...


No link, but those colors are to die for:

Again, no link but these were easy enough...2 circles of fabric, gather the edge and sew binding all around.
So I made these below and I'd make them smaller next time, however I think they would be adorable for the next time I take cookies to the neighbor's or a pot luck...


And lastly, a huge gobbler of fabric scraps...the reusable GIFT BAG.



They go together like a dream. I'm using all the saved "tops of sheets" (you know, where it's been doubled over) as the casing on top. I am NOT spending too much time worried about raw edges, just plowing through. its v-e-r-y satisfying to be able to churn out 7-8 of these an hour. What will I do with them? Who knows. But! They are no longer misc. scraps littering my craft room and for this, I am pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment