Monday, December 31, 2012

Huge Birthday Meal


I painted this cake plate 16 years ago!



Sptting a layer.



If you have the time, It's super helpful to freeze the layers after you've split them. Less crumbs and way less movement.



Layers are of different thicknesses. It matters NOT.


A crumb-coat is a MUST.



The trick to super smooth icing?




A very hot and slightly damp spatula.

I didn't need a smooth top for this cake, but I took the photo so you can see how the heat and water really work for you.

CHILL THOROUGHLY before pouring warm ganache!


A little in the middle and all around the edge.


It's fun.

Ew. Gloppy.


I give it a few firm but gentle shakes. Yes, that means I pick the whole cake plate up and tap/whack it on the counter.



Decorated. Math-geek humor. 100011 is 35 in Binary


Mmmmm. It was delicious!


Traditional Sunday night dinner for Devin was birthday themed this time. Devin is 35....and I knew him as a 6th grader. Shit, I'm old! However, as per his request, I made Cincinnati-style chili and a Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake.

I follow the chili recipe rather loosely, but the cake recipe to the letter. It's really pretty easy.

The chili reminds me of a Bob's Big Boy dish called a "chili size". I sometimes feel I'm the only one in the world who remembers this but there is proof...and look! I'm mistaken in the name, since this Bob's calls it "chili spaghetti", and the chili size is a burger. (sigh)
It's still a damn good meal.

Good old Bob's Big Boy. God, I miss it so much. To have a Big Boy Combo with blue cheese dressing....(drool). The remaining restaurants are not the same. It just tastes different.
As a teenager, I spent countless hours in Bob's. After rehearsals, before trips to LA, ditching first period with Eileen and having breakfast, sneaking over after hours and drawing a Hitler moustache on the Bob statue with an extra large Sharpie. Such good times.


For a while when our son Evan was younger, he looked like a red-headed Bob. I admit it was troublesome. But he outgrew it. Whew!



He just needed some overalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment