Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mex-Inspired Casserole



Sometimes cleaning out the 'fridge turns into a great meal. Sometimes we can please carnivores AND vegetarians in the same dish.

Starting on the bottom:

Cooked rice (mine was already Mexican style rice) I probably had 4 cups.
A can of or left over black beans (I had only enough for the Veggie side)
Cooked chicken chunks (only on left side)
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes and the juice, pour over both sides
1.5 bottles* Trader Joe's enchilada sauce

I put just this much in the microwave for about 10 minutes to get hot. It will help the cornbread cook faster. Then I put on:
Left over grated cheese (about 3 cups)
I made 1 batch of corn bread from the recipe on the side of the Alber's box, and poured it over the top.

Bake at 400 till cornbread is done (use a toothpick dead center and make sure it comes out very clean. You can cover the top with foil if it's browning too quickly) and sauce is bubbly around the edges.

* adjust the liquids and other amounts for your baking dish. I used my giant LeCruset which is like a 10 x 13 pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment